Jun 23, 2003

I haven’t been ranting about the Mets lately. Since Steve-O was fired, I find the target of much of my ranting is now gone and I eagerly await the new regime and the changes they will institute.

Also, I have to say I am much more likely to go to the ballpark and watch the team as it is presently than I was before - there’s just something appealing about watching players who’ve come up from the minor leagues and are eager to play than there is in watching a bunch of malcontent veterans.

I keep hearing on talk radio about potential trades the Mets could make. One I heard was Armando Benitez for Jeff Weaver. This is a trade only a Yankee fan could make. Jeff Weaver who still has several years to go on a contract that’s overpaying him versus Benitez who still is a capable if inconsistent closer in his walk year - way to bog yourself down with bad contracts - no thank you.

I’m watching and liking Jay Seo (my new hero), Jose Reyes, Ty Wigginton, Jason Phillips (who for some reason reminds me of one of my favorite, most missed Mets John Olerud) and Vance Wilson. Joe McEwing (Super Joe), Timo Perez, Shinjo and Floyd are also fun to watch. It’s also a shame I heard today Jeromy Burnitz is determined to go the free agent route.

So back on March 27th I wrote this and almost three months later, it’s interesting to look at the predictions:

10 reasons why the Mets will suck this year:

1. Tom Glavine is not the pitcher he used to be. At 38, the Mets didn’t sign a pitcher for the head of their rotation as much as an aging superstar on his way down the slippery slope to retirement, instead of an anchor they got an albatross to hang around their neck for the next four years.

Well, while Glavine isn’t the pitcher he was in his heyday with the Braves, he is certainly a capable #2 or #3 starter (which is really all you should expect from a 38 year old control pitcher. I do like his work ethic and professionalism. He shows a great deal of good baseball knowledge (at the plate as well as on the mound). So, here I would say I was wrong as Glavine can’t be blamed for the Metsies woes.

2. Steve Phillips will still manage to make a couple of bad trades before the season is out.

They fired him before he had the chance, this is called addition by subtraction (too bad that George wised up and gave a contract extension to Gene Michael).

3. Al Leiter and Pedro Astacio are both a year older.

No question about that, right on the money. Astacio is gone for the season (and probably as a Met) and Leiter is looking like he should be traded while you can still get something of value.

4. Roberto Alomar is a lungee away from being villified in New York. As the year progresses and Alomar’s average remains mired in the mid 200s Mets fans will be the ones doing the spitting.

Another direct hit. Alomar hasn’t generated much interest from other teams as trade bait and of course, why should he? It’s been openly acknowledged he’s unhappy and could even have been stricken with the infamous Ricky Henderson malady by “jaking it.”

5. Edgardo Alfonzo is a Giant

A miss. Fonzie is in the midst of his worst season ever. Still if I were GM for a day, I’d be looking to send Roberto Alomar out to the Giants for Fonzie and try to get Brian Sabean to pay part of the big contract the Giants signed him to for the next four years. It gives the Giants a chance to get out from under the contract and I think Fonzie really misses the Big Apple (when have you ever heard of a baseball player taking out taxi ads thanking the city after he’s left?). Plus I think Fonzie is a good clubhouse guy and I can’t think of anyone who would be better paired as a teacher to Jose Reyes.

6. Bobby Valentine wasn’t the problem after all

Score direct hit, give credit to Bobby though, if ever a man had a chance to gloat it would be Bobby V but, he‘s kept his mouth shut. Also, listening to the ESPN broadcast it would seem there are a bunch of Mets that still seek out Bobby for advice - I think that speaks volumes about him as a manager. Nevermind he’s been mentioned as a possible successor to Joe Torre - what do you say about that Yankee fans?

7. Art Howe will be Jeff Torborg 2 (remember when Jeff Torborg showed up to manage the Mets he had come off successful seasons in Chicago). Laid back never plays well in New York.

Another direct hit, no matter how many times I hear Art Howe on the radio, I still have yet to walk away thinking the man is intelligent. He sounds like a nice guy but, I am mystified by some of his decisions.

8. Benitez still means choke in Spanish

Anyone see last night’s game? Just watching Armando on the mound with that stupid look on his face as he walks in a run - OUCH!

9. As good as a guy as Jeromy Burnitz is, some guys just never play well in New York. Burnitz is a small market guy and would be better off being traded closer to home - San Diego.

Wrong, wrong, wrong - Burnitz is having a terrific year and if he keeps going like this he will dispel any notion he can’t play in a large market.

10. Without Ricky Henderson to coach him, Roger Cedeno sill never be a tremendous basestealer.

I like Roger, I really do and it’s painful to watch him be booed so mercilessly at Shea. He’s started hitting a bit better but still finds himself overmatched in the outfield. This one is turning out to be dead on even though I’d rather I was wrong.

10 reasons why the Mets will make the playoffs:

1. Cliff Floyd will provide the long ball threat to complement Piazza that the top of the order that’s been missing.

Dead on - Well, Mikey is out for the moment but, there’s nothing bad to say about Cliff Floyd. He’s been the long ball threat the Mets needed and his outfield defense is superb.

2. Tom Glavine is the real deal and will give the Mets the one/two punch they’ve been missing since Mike Hampton left Al Leiter to sign with Colorado.

Mixed - If you take Leiter’s name out of the equation and substitute Seo you’re on to something.

3. Steve Trachsel will show why the Mets were smart to resign him.

Bingo! - Trachsel is coming on again. This is a guy who was supposed to be a number four starter, if he truly was their number four starter, there would be nothing to complain about.

4. Wigginton is going to prove he’s a major leaguer.

Dead on - Gotta love TY! Could inherit Todd Pratt’s nickname of TANK!

5. One word: Shinjo, Shinjo, Shinjo.

Mixed - Great in the field but, where’s the bat! Could be lots better at the plate.

6. David Cone - 15 game winner?!?!

Wrong - The comeback that wasn’t.

7. The equation: Slim Fast + Mo Vaughn = 50+ homers.

Wrong - Mo‘s gone and to tell the truth, hopefully for good. Ever since Mo went down the team has been playing better - file under malcontented veteran.

8. Bell, Hernandez, Clark and McEwing mean there’s a really deep bench.

Mixed - Haven’t seen much from Hernandez and Bell due to injuries but, Clark has provided clutch power and McEwing has spelled good defense at second, short, third and in the outfield with those little surprising power displays - love Super Joe!

9. Would you tell Don Baylor no if he gets on you to hustle?

I don’t know still, would you?

10. Jose Reyes will live up to the hype.

Dead on - This kind is great to watch, doesn’t even make me miss ReyRey in the field and the smile on his face is an improvement over ReyRey’s sullen demeanor.

So, plan on saying goodbye to:

Al Leiter, Roberto Alomar, Jeromy Burnitz, David Weathers, Graeme Lloyd and Armando Benitez.

No comments: